There are so many unique and wonderful animals in the world and this month we will be taking a look at what is out there, where does it come from and in some cases where did it go. We will explore why some species are disappearing and if there is anything we can do to help save the animals of the world. As the weather turns nice the children will go outside every day so please be sure they wear tennis shoes and have a jacket. Rain is about the only thing that can keep us in this time of year and we’ve been known to sneak out if it is only sprinkling with no lightning!
- April 2 – 6 – Hey we just heard that the Preschoolers are having spring training, and we want in on that. This week we will pick teams and play ball just like the Cardinals. Competitiveness really kicks in at this age so we will focus on good sportsmanship.
- April 9 – 13 – Did you know that a group of animals is called something different depending on the type of animals? This week we will be making a list of all of the group names we can find starting with my favorite a smack of jellyfish. We will also be working on crossword puzzles and word finds using animal names.
- April 16 – 20 – We are going to try to figure out where all of these wonderful animals come from while practicing our geography skills and reading for information. Each afternoon we will pick some animals and track down their origins and place them on our world map. We are going to try to place as many animals as we can on our map.
- April 23 – 27 – This week we will be looking at the difference between extinct, endangered and mythical creatures. We will try to figure out why animals become extinct or endangered and what can be done about it. Mythical creatures are particularly fascinating and an inspiration for making up our own stories.
- April 30 – May 4 – This week we will be writing some animal poetry as we come up with rhyming responses that the animals might give when the zookeeper tells them it is time for bed. We will be learning about categorizing with some card games like Noah’s Ark and Animal Rummy.