Beginners: What is that noise coming from the Beginners Department? Are there lions in with the Ladybugs? Koalas in with the Caterpillars? No, it’s just the Beginners learning animals sounds. This month we will focus on animals as a way to learn numbers, colors, sharing, manners and of course animal sounds. As the weather turns nice we will be going outside at every opportunity so be sure and send a jacket, we will go out any day it is 50 or above and not raining.
- April 2 – 6 –Wild animals are fascinating for children of all ages. We will use this fascination to do some learning. The first thing we will learn is the names and sounds of all of those exotic looking animals at the zoo. Then spots and stripes provide the perfect opportunity to practice our counting skills.
- April 9 – 13 – All of the different ways that animals get around has inspired us to learn some new ways of locomotion. This week we will wiggle like snakes, jump like kangaroos, gallop like zebras and run like gazelles.
- April 16 – 20 – This week we will explore what animals eat and maybe if we’re hungry we might eat like the animals. This week we will do a little cooking as we make monkey bread and lion lunches. As we cook we will learn about counting, measuring and good handwashing practices.
- April 23 – 27 –The Preschoolers are gone to the zoo and the Beginners are taking over Toddle Towne! This week they will be bringing in a stuffed animal from home to help them learn to share with their friends. On Friday when everyone else is gone they will burst out of their room for a wild celebration of the National Week of the Young Child with special snacks and a parade.
- April 30 – May 4 – It is time to learn some manners or practice the ones you already know. This week the Beginners will be having an animal cracker party. They will be decorating cups and napkins and talk about being polite. At the party they will practice saying please and thank you, wiping their mouths with napkins and cleaning up after themselves.